RapidWeaver 7.1 introduced faster opening and publishing — great new features — but they put a new burden on plugins. It means nearly everything is threaded or all at once. For most plugins this fine, great even! But plugins that interact with more than one page, like Stacks and PlusKit — this is a very big deal.
State of the PlusKit
PlusKit in RapidWeaver 7.1 is not very stable. And PlusKit needs help. I’m not very proud of this fact. I should have seen these problems much sooner than I did. As a new maintainer of PlusKit I’m still climbing the codebase learning curve. I’m getting better, but not up to par yet.
PlusKit can still work when you keep things simple. But with many complex chains of @import, the publishing threads begin overlapping and things get confused. This usually leads to a crash.
Recommendation for using PlusKit with RapidWeaver today
- Keep it simple
- Use RapidWeaver 7.0.x if you can
- If neither of these is an option — you should stop using PlusKit (for now).
Can Fix It — Yes We Can
PlusKit needs a rewrite. Not entirely, but some parts of @import are fundamentally broken in the new threading of RapidWeaver 7.1. Those bits need to be rebuilt from the ground up.
After spending the week studying the problems in detail, I’m reasonably certain that @import is still feasible, but some parts will require significant work.
- There will be a major update of PlusKit in the near future
- Because of the huge work and expense of development, this will have to be a paid upgrade
- We will be releasing new beta versions ASAP — probably in the next day or two
- The beta versions won’t have every feature at first
I don’t usually disclose my plans quite this much, but the nature of this particular release made it seem like a good idea. That said, plans will probably have to adjust as we go.
Calling All PlusKit Users
If you’re a PlusKit user working in RapidWeaver 7.1 please watch this space for beta releases. We’d like all the help we can get testing this. My goals is to make PlusKit a stable and robust part of the RapidWeaver community.
Some Useful PlusKit Links
- PlusKit Archive - This is a GitHub repository for PlusKit. It doesn’t contain the code, but it does contain all the historical releases, release notes, going back years.
- PlusKit Bug Tracker - Have a bug you’d like to report. A feature you’d like to request. This is the place.
- PlusKit webpage - The release (as in, not the beta version) of PlusKit.